Upgrading ALL-H3-CC from Stretch to Buster with OpenGL

I have been able to upgrade from debian 9 to debian 12 (from Stretch to Sid/Bookworm) with the headless image, but I would like to have OpenGL drivers running.
It seems upgrading the headless image and adding the XFCE desktop at the last step works well from the upgrade standpoint, but glxgears won't work.
But on the desktop images provided by libre-computer, I am able to run glxgears. I would now like to get a version Sid version of the program so that I can download software that's supported at that version, but with OpenGL enabled.
However, I can't even get ready to upgrade to debian 10 on either the XFCE or LXDE image.
When I get to the point to prepare for the upgrade by issuing:
sudo apt-get upgrade
it breaks the desktop.
I say broken because if I try to start the desktop with:
startxfce4
I get a number of errors, I think the most salient one is in the .local/share/Xorg.0.log file has this line in it:
"armsoc: module ABI major version (23) doesn't match the server's version (24)"
(Also, lightdm.service has failed in systemd)
I've tried several orders of the basic steps in removing unneeded software, using sudo apt-get upgrade --without-new-pkgs, or sudo apt-get full-upgrade, or just sudo apt-get upgrade, and I've tried these steps from inside a terminal on the desktop, or by booting back to a command line. In every case, I end up with a system that eventually won't run a desktop.

Any tips on how to get this board to a Debian 12 with OpenGL running?

Thank you.